Facts For Parents
Understanding The Benefits Of Dance Classes
Dance classes are a fun way to keep children of all ages active. As a parent, you do not need to have a grand vision of your child becoming prima ballerina or the next big thing in hip hop dancing to start them in dance classes.
Whether you want to have your child try something new or are looking for a creative way for them to get physically active, or even looking for a way to them to channel the endless supply of energy they seem to have, dance classes may be the answer.
Whatever the reason, your child will develop physically and emotionally through dance classes. If you are interested in learning more, check out these six benefits of dance classes for children of all ages.
Kids and Dance classes: 6 lifelong benefits
- Cognitive Development: Starting at a young age children understand that their movements can be used as a response to your verbalizations and also to express their ideas and feelings. Your child will learn to become aware on how to function socially. It is common for the instructor of the dance classes to have their students jump over “lava” to avoid melting. Your child will learn how to extend their legs, gage space, problem solve, use their imagination from this activity. Being able to physically express their needs will allow them to communicate more clearly while their verbal skills mature.
- Improve Self Esteem: As your child studies more about dance and adjusts to the new movements, they will no doubt gain a better sense of their bodies, which will allow them to become comfortable in their skin. The more the child is comfortable with themselves, the easier it will be for them to build and retain their self-confidence.
- Promotes Physical Health: Dance is a physical activity, and it will allow your child to use their entire body for complete body fitness. When your child takes dance classes regularly you will see them improvement in their flexibility, balance, coordination, stamina, and range of motion.
- Teaches Discipline: When a child takes dance classes they will often be asked to remember choreography and this will help improve your child’s memorization skills. Children who are taking dance classes are asked to learn move sequences and choreography quickly, and the more they do it, the faster they are able to memorize their movements. The improved learning speed will carry over into other aspects of their education as well.
- Gives Opportunities for Socialization: Parents of children who take dance classes will see an improvement in social and communication skills in their children. In most dance classes your child will be asked to work in groups, pairs, and individually and if your child is introverted they will learn to talk to others and make new friends. Also, if your child has anxiety of performing or speaking in front of a crowd, dancing can help eliminate those fears.
- Self-Expression is Paramount: Dance is one the most self-expressive activities your child can take part in. Dance allows children to come out of their shells and be themselves. Your child will also have another way to release their emotions. Often a child may be upset, and not want to discuss it, but once they step into class they can put all of their energy into dance and at the end of the dance class they will feel better.
Center Stage Dance Studio has a wide array of dance classes that your child can benefit from. Please visit www.centerstagedancestudio.com for more information or to schedule a tour and meet our expert instructors.